The Misión Biológica de Galicia (MBG-CSIC) was created in April 1921 by the Board for Advanced Studies and Scientific Research (‘Junta de Ampliación de Estudios e Investigaciones Científicas’, JAE) chaired by the Nobel Prize Santiago Ramón y Cajal.
The MBG was originally located in the Veterinary School of Santiago de Compostela, Cruz Gallástegui being the director. The MBG moved to the current location in Pontevedra (3 km away from downtown) in 1927 occupying the farm and buildings that constitute the ‘Pazo de Salcedo’. In the past, the farm was property of the Archbishop Malvar and nowadays belongs to Provincial Council of Pontevedra.
In the period before the spanish civil war (1936-1939), contributions made by the first director of the MBG, Cruz Gallástegui, must be highlighted. Above all, he brought from America the technology to produce corn hybrids and generated the first corn hybrids cultivated in Europe. He published research studies on main Galician crops and disseminated practical results among farmers.
In 1939, the MBG came to belong to the newly created Spanish Council for Scientific Research.